Monday, August 29, 2011

flower crazy! - and a couple of ornaments

Today I decided to be brave and try making the felt dahlia pin. It took a while to measure and cut out all of the petals but the end result rocks! I have to say that the rotary cutter did help in cutting the squares nice and even but trimming the squares to the petal shapes was a little time consuming. Once that was done, it went pretty quick with only a few minor hot glue burns (thanks to my new mini glue gun!). And voila- here's the finished pin!

I also tried making a few felt roses which it turns out are actually really simple. Instead of making the roses and leaves in typical color combos I decided to mix it up a little and add some gray in as a neutral to balance the bright colors. I'm loving the end result!

I did try making a few felt Christmas ornaments today too. Some turned out better than others and some I just didn't like at all. I learned that cutting snowflakes out of felt is a lot harder than I thought- or maybe I just need a smaller sharp scissor! I'd like to try making a few more but I think I need some more Christmas-y felt colors first. I need to figure out where they get all the cool colors that they use in the magazine though. hmmm.
Happy Crafting!

1 comment: